Nearly every minute of every day, a new case of Alzheimer’s is diagnosed in the US. Will you or someone you love be next?
- Americans are living longer, 20% of the population is expected to be over 65 years of age within fifteen years.
- 1 out of 3 people over age 65 will die as a result of Alzheimer’s.
- 1 in 9 over the age of 65 currently have it, and 2/3’s of these are women.
- Alzheimer’s does not discriminate – it affects every ethnic group, though due to socio-economic reasons, has higher incidences in Hispanic and African American populations.
- 15 million caregivers spent 17.5 billion unpaid hours in 2012 caring for those with the disease, causing added stress, lost work time, and increased depression, and resulting in $9.1 billion in health care costs for the caregivers alone.
- Costs to our healthcare system are staggering-estimated to reach $1.2 trillion by 2050.
- The disease can start up to twenty years before diagnosis-as early as the age of thirty for those at high risk-yet we have no idea what causes it in 99% of all cases.
- There is no known cure or reliable prevention.
Over the last thirty years most of the focus on Alzheimer’s has been on pharmaceutical solutions for treating the symptoms, not on finding a cure. The Alzheimer’s Research Foundation, unlike education or caregiver support organizations, is a 501c (3) non-profit Alzheimer’s charity completely dedicated to finding a cure for this disease that almost certainly affects at least one person YOU know.
By raising funds and giving solely to institutions dedicating their research efforts to finding a cure, you can help Alzheimer’s charities, your loved ones, and their caregivers battle this insidious disease that strips dignity from those afflicted, and devastates everyone around them.